Eligibility: Graduating seniors with dyslexia of a public or private high school in Lancaster County, Nebraska
Criteria: 2- or 4-year college in Nebraska
The Smile Out Loud Scholarship was established in 2015 by David Staenberg to support postsecondary education for students with dyslexia. David is dyslexic himself and his Smile Out Loud Foundation works to raise awareness of dyslexia. He believes in changing the world one Smile at a time.
- Applicant must be a current graduating senior with dyslexia of a public or private high school in Lancaster County in Nebraska.
- Applicant must plan to attend any accredited two-year or four-year university or college.
- Applicant must demonstrate a confirmed condition of dyslexia.
Applicants are required to complete the Lincoln Community Foundation Fillable PDF Application Form provided to school counselors and the Nebraska Dyslexia Association, or requested from firstname.lastname@example.org and submit the form and all required attachments by March 15. Submit complete application attached to e-mail to email@example.com or mail hard copies to:
Scholarships Coordinator Lincoln Community Foundation 215 Centennial Mall South, Ste 100 Lincoln, NE 68508
The form may either be filled out on the computer or printed first and filled out with a pen. Applications sent by e-mail must be submitted by 11:59 pm on March 15. Hard copies mailed in must be postmarked by March 15.
Application required attachments:
- High school transcript(s) (copies of transcripts are acceptable).
- One letter of recommendation from a school teacher, counselor or SPED teacher that confirms the applicant’s dyslexia condition.
- Essay: Describe how dyslexia has affected your studies and how it influences your future educational, occupational, and personal goals. Your essay should be no more than 500 words and be typed on no more than 1 attached page.
Scholarship applications must be submitted electronically to the Lincoln Community Foundation at firstname.lastname@example.org by 11:59 p.m. on March 15th or to Lincoln Community Foundation, 215 Centennial Mall South, Ste 100, Lincoln, NE 68508 and postmarked by March 15th if mailed by regular postal service.
The Lincoln Community Foundation will make the final selection of scholarship recipients.
Scholarship checks will be sent directly to the student’s college or university. Scholarship grants can be made only to qualified, nonproprietary institutions.
This scholarship shall not be awarded to any immediate or distant member of the David Staenberg Family.